UPDATED: Hero sergeant speaks out about rescuing boy from frozen pond

Boy saved from a frozen pond by hero sergeant. (Photo: KUTV)

UPDATE: 12/27/17 1:10 AM

The boy has been transferred to Primary Children's Medical Center for treatment. There is no update on his condition at this time.

NEW HARMONY, Utah (KUTV) - An 8-year-old boy who fell into a frozen pond while chasing after a dog is currently being treated at Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George, Utah.

It happened at 3100 East 2500 South in New Harmony around 5 p.m. Christmas Day.

According to the Washington County Sheriff's Office, the boy was playing with other children when his dog ran away.

The boy chased after the dog onto a frozen pond. After he was about 25 feet out on the pond, the boy fell through the ice.

The man who dove into the frozen pond, pulled the boy out is Sgt. Aaron Thompson with Washington County Sheriff’s Office. In the process of getting the boy out, Thompson damaged nerves in his arms because he used his limbs as hammers to crush through the ice.

“I knew exactly what I was getting into when I got in that water,” Thompson said. "I went out a few feet where I knew I was going to be about my waist before I started stomping on the ice to do the initial breakthrough.”

Thompson said in a press conference Tuesday that he thinks he broke through about 25 feet of ice and slush before he got to the spot where the boy was last seen going under water.

“I couldn't touch the bottom but I could feel weeds touching against my feet ... so I knew I had a real good chance if I just stayed in that search area.’ Thompson said.

Thompson eventually found the boy’s body about 5 or so feet down in the pond, lifted him out of the water and got him to EMT’s who were standing by.

“If there was a hero that night it's us, not me. I was just the one in the water.” Thompson said.for answers after headstones found damaged

The boy was airlifted to a St. George hospital. He had vitals leaving the scene but was not conscious or alert.

Thompson has hypothermia and lacerations on his arms and hands from cutting through the ice. He was taken to Dixie Regional Medical Center for treatment.

The dog was not hurt.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off