A simple dish to make and a family favorite this sweet potato shepherds pie will be a hit!
1 lb sweet potatoes or canned sweet potatoes (45 oz)
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon or nutmeg
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
1/2 tsp dried thyme or basil
16 oz frozen vegetable medley
1 cup low sodium beef broth
2 tsp cornstarch
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degree’s.
2) Wash and peel sweet potatoes (if not using the canned) and chop into 1-inch pieces.
3) Add the chopped sweet potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, drain in a colander.
4) Return the sweet potatoes to the pot and add the milk, cinnamon or nutmeg. Mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth.
5) Heat a large pan and spray with cooking spray. Add the chopped onions and bell pepper, sautéing until tender.
6) In a separate bowl whisk the beef broth and cornstarch together.
7) Add the vegetables to the saute and the ground turkey and cook through.
8) Add the beef broth mixture, stirring to combine. Cook until the sauce thickens.
9) Transfer the turkey mixture to an 8x8 baking dish. Spread the mashed sweet potatoes evenly over the top of the turkey mixture.
10) Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.