Once you have enjoyed fresh pasta, it’s hard to go back to store bought pasta. Making pasta is actually easy and fun. Pair it with butter, garlic and shrimp for a delicious scampi or toss the cooked pasta with your favorite pasta sauce.
For the Pasta: 3 cups flour
3 large eggs
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp water
For the Shrimp Scampi: 8 cups freshly cooked pasta
4 tbsp butter
4 garlic gloves, minced
1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 30 shrimp per pound)
Fresh lemon juice, optional
1) To make the pasta, add the pasta ingredients into the bowl of your stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix everything together and let the machine knead for about 2 minutes or until the dough is smooth.
2) Remove the dough from the machine and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
3) Cut the dough into 5 equal parts and feed the dough through your pasta press machine. I used the Kitchen Aid attachment for more Kitchen Aid machine, it’s called a “pasta press” and I used the “spaghetti” dye.
4) If you don’t have a pasta press, simply roll out the dough and thinly cut it like fettuccini.
5) Boil the pasta for about 6 minutes or until it is tender, strain and set a side.
6) To make the shrimp scampi, heat a sauté pan on the stove and melt the butter. Sauté the garlic and prepared shrimp for about 3 minutes or until shrimp is cooked through.
7) Add the cooked pasta (if the pasta seems sticky, rinse it with water to help loosen it up again before adding it) to the butter, garlic and shrimp. Gently toss everything together to combine. Salt and pepper to taste and squeeze some lemon juice over the pasta if desired. Serve with freshly chopped basil, shredded parmesan cheese (optional) and enjoy!