This is a great recipe to use up left over egg yolks. You can use egg yolks or whole eggs depending on what you have on hand. Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving parchment tags to easily help with removal of the lemon tarts. This way they are easy to cut and serve.
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup sugar
zest of one lemon
Juice from one lemon, 2 tbsp lemon juice more or less
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup egg yolks (5-6 egg yolks) or 2 eggs
powdered sugar for dusting
1) Preheat oven to 350 degree’s.
2) In the bowl of your food processor, combine the flour, butter, and powder sugar until it resembles coarse corn meal.
3) Transfer the crust mixture to a greased 8x8 baking dish (I like to line the pan with parchment paper allowing for easy removal) and press the crust mixture into the pan.
4) Bake the crust for approximately 20 minutes or until you see the edges starting to brown.
5) While the crust is baking, mix the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, baking powder, cornstarch, eggs yolks (or whole eggs) in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
6) When the crust is finished baking, remove from the oven and pour the egg mixture over the hot crust. Place the lemon bars back in the oven and continue baking for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until the top of the lemon custard begins to slightly brown. If the custard starts to brown too quickly, loosely tent the top with aluminum foil.
7) Remove from the oven and allow the lemon bars to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar, serve and enjoy!