Grandma would always make the yummiest angel food cake and I would love sneaking the top pieces off of the cake that were well done. My mom also makes amazing angel food cakes and I’m sure between these two incredible women, I learned my love for this amazing cake!
12 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2) Add the egg whites to the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
3) Add the cream of tarter and the fresh lemon juice. Whisk the egg whites until the are frothy.
4) Add the vanilla to the eggs while whisking. Gradually pour the sugar into the frothy egg whites making sure it all incorporates. If needed, scrape down the bowl to ensure all the sugar is blended.
5) Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.
6) While the egg whites are whipping, sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt together.
7) Once the egg whites are whisked to stiff peaks, remove the bowl from the mixer and using a rubber spatula, fold the flour mixture into the egg whites until fully incorporated.
8) Spoon the batter into an angel food cake pan and place it onto a baking sheet and into your preheated oven.
9) Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the cake is fully cooked through. Angel food cakes are better over-cooked than under cooked.
10) Remove the cake from the oven and very carefully invert the cake-pan. Let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan.
11) Serve the cake with your favorite toppings or simply enjoy it plain!