This is one of my favorite recipes ever. It’s perfect for brunch or anytime of the day. I love blueberries and making bread so the creation of this recipe was the perfect combination!
For the dough: 2 cups luke warm water
1 cup powdered milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp yeast
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil
6-8 cups flour
For the filling: 2.5 pounds frozen blueberries
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup modified corn starch
1) To make the dough, add everything in the bowl of your mixer. Start with six cups of flour and add more flour, if needed, to create a soft dough. Let the machine knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
2) Remove the dough and transfer to a bowl sprayed with vegetable spray. Spray the top of the dough with vegetable spray so the dough doesn’t dry out. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough double in size.
3) To create the filling, add the frozen blueberries and sugar to a large pot and let the mixture come to a bowl. Gently stir the mixture and once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and continue simmering for 10 minutes.
4) Remove from the heat and add the modified corn starch (one brand name is Ultra-Spurse and is generally found by the canning supplies at the grocery store).
5) Stirring to combine and once mixed throughly let the filling cool completely and thicken. The nice thing about using a modified corn start is you can add it to cool fillings to thicken. With this in mind, if needed add more modified corn starch until the filling consistency is like “icing”.
6) To assemble, roll the dough once it’s doubled in size into a large rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
7) Spread the cooled blueberry filling onto 1/2 of the rectangle length wise and fold the other half of the rectangle over the filling. Cut the the dough into 1 inch strips.
8) Take each strip and using both hands twist the dough strip. With my right and left hand on either end of the strip, I push my right hand up and my left hand down twisting the strip of dough.
9) Once twisted, twist once more into a braid and place on a parchment lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with vegetable spray.
10) Once they are all shaped, spray them one more time with vegetable spray so the dough doesn’t dry out and let them double in size.
11) Preheat your oven to 350 degree’s and bake the blueberry twists for about 20 minutes or until they are cooked through.
12) Remove cool, serve and enjoy! If wanted, create a powdered sugar frosting or a cream cheese frosting and spread the frosting over the blueberry twists.